Saudi Arabia on Monday confirmed the death of the Prince AlWaleed Al-Jaber Al-Saud, the kingdom’s second most senior figure, in a hospital in the capital Riyadh.
The royal court said he was found in his bed at 4:30pm local time (11:30 GMT), the kingdom said.
The kingdom, the world’s top exporter of oil, was rocked by the kingdom of Saudi Arabia being rocked by a massive coronavirus outbreak, which killed more than 8,000 people.
Saudi Arabia has already been hit by a series of outbreaks in recent weeks, with at least 12 deaths reported so far this year.
Saudi authorities said the Prince had died of a heart attack.
A spokesman for the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, told reporters that he had spoken to the prince’s wife, the Crown Prince.
The spokesman did not say when he knew that he was dead.
He added that the country was in mourning for the prince and the country.
Saudi health officials said Prince Al-Walee was a doctor and a former military officer.
The health ministry said he had been in the hospital since Tuesday.
It said he would be buried in his hometown of Jeddah on Monday.
Alwaz, the first Saudi to be named deputy crown prince in 2020, said the prince had suffered from health problems for many years, but his condition was deteriorating.
He said the death would be a “great loss” to the country, but also “a great loss to Saudi Arabia”.
Saudi health authorities said in a statement that the crown prince had been taken to a private hospital in Riyadh.
Al-waz said the coronaviruses virus was transmitted by airborne droplets in the air, and that there was no specific link to the coronavia outbreak in the United States, where the World Health Organization has declared a global health emergency.